In May 2019, Briggs & Forrester contacted Colt to assist them with designing, manufacturing and installing a fume ventilation system for a military client in Wiltshire.
The building in question was an old airplane hangar that was being refurbished to house the facility’s forklifts, raising concerns about CO fumes building up in the space. Once our specialists had surveyed the building and considered the solutions that would work most effectively, we set to work on designing a crossflow ventilation system that would effectively control the CO levels in the building.
Made up of two Colt Tornado ventilators and two Seefire louvered wall ventilators, the system works in such a way that the Tornado fans extract stale contaminated air from inside the building to outside, with fresh outdoor air being drawn into the building through Seefire Natural Ventilators in the walls. Thereby, a constant supply of fresh air is provided and fumes are continually removed from the atmosphere. The system is activated via a Colt control panel that included CO sensors; the sensors would detect when CO levels in the building were rising to unhealthy levels and start the ventilation process. This automated activation system creates both environmental and financial benefits for the building owners, as the system will only run when it is absolutely needed and will remain idle when it is not.
Colt Tornado Extract fans are ErP compliant and feature a lightweight, low silhouette cowl that is suited to most industrial and commercial buildings. In addition, Tornado also has a lot of other benefits:
- High-efficiency, low noise variable speed EC motor for optimal energy efficiency.
- All units are made from lightweight, corrosion resistant aluminium.
- A non-return shutter ensures a weatherproof seal and reduced heat loss when the fan is not in operation.
- Available as mill finish or with a polyester powder coating to a RAL colour.
- 500mm 630mm and 800mm nominal fan sizes.
- Variety of manual and automatic standard controls options available.
Seefire natural louvered ventilators conform to EN 12101-2 and are CE marked. As well as providing extract ventilation as on this project, they can also provide inlet ventilation as well as permitting the entry of natural daylight for most kinds of industrial and commercial buildings. As well as these functions, Seefire has additional benefits:
- Wide range of applications - Seefire is classed as a dual-purpose ventilator, providing day to day and smoke control ventilation and fire ventilation. Seefire can also be installed in the vertical either for low level air inlet or for high level extract. Polycarbonate and glass versions allow the entry of natural daylight.
- High performance – The Seefire vent is aerodynamically efficient and has a high resistance to weather.
- Easy to install - Seefire is delivered fully assembled to site and may be installed at any angle from the horizontal to the vertical. It has a wide range of base profiles to suit all sheeting, curb or glazing applications. Bases are customised to suit the installation into either curtain walling, glazing or prepared openings.
- Durable - Seefire vents are manufactured from tough, corrosion resistant aluminium alloy, grade 3005 in accordance with EN573-3, with stainless steel fixings. Louvres pivot on double nylon UV- resistant bearings.
- Certified performance - Seefire has been exhaustively tested and certified to EN 12101-2: 2003 in accredited third-party test laboratories and is CE marked.
- Quality of manufacture - Seefire is manufactured under the ISO 9001 quality standard. Each unit is given a functional test before despatch.
If you need help with fume ventilation, contact Colt’s specialists today for a free consultation.
If your building is too hot or too cold, if your process gives off fume or moisture, if your product requires specific conditions during its manufacture or storage, or if noise is a concern, then we may be able to help you.
We can survey your building using a range of techniques and equipment to identify your problem. Once established, we can then recommend a solution based on proven design work.
Andrew Wright is an Area Manager for Colt's Climate Control divison, experienced in creating efficient ventilation systems to achieve comfortable working environments and increasing productivity.